Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shortbread for a Shortbread Pan or Mold

I've used the same shortbread recipe for years now, but I've always been a bit afraid that my precious shortbread cookie pan/mold would crack after being chilled and then popped into a hot oven. I tried the recipe this year that actually came with the pan (there's a novel idea), and it works beautifully! If you have a pan, use this recipe; if you don't have a shortbread cookie pan, use the other. They are quite similar; this one doesn't call for chilling the dough, so I feel safer using it with my pan.

Photos will come when I can get my camera and computer to get along again!

~From recipe booklet that came with the pan!

  • 1/2 c. butter (1 stick), room temperature
  • 1/3 c. powdered sugar, unsifted
  • 1 c. flour, unsifted*
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan lightly with cooking spray if it's new and/or hasn't been used much.
  2. Cream butter until light and fluffy.
  3. Add powdered sugar and cream again.
  4. Mix in flour by hand; when you can stir no longer, dump the whole crumbly mess onto an unfloured board or counter. Knead by hand until soft and pliable. 
  5. Press firmly into pan.
  6. Prick lightly with a fork in a few places.
  7. Bake 30-35 minutes or until light brown around edges.
  8. Let cool in pan 10 minutes.
  9. Flip over onto a cooling rack; tap until shortbread comes out (I have a cooling rack that is about the same width as my pan. I put it on top, flip the two over together, and tap the whole contraption on the counter a few times. Believe it or not, the shortbread will pop out in one piece!)
  10. Cut with sharp knife while still hot. Let cool before eating (yeah, right). 
*It is best to use a Northern/hard flour rather than a softer, Southern flour for this recipe. Reach for King Arthur over White Lily.

No comments: