Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cookbook Review: Betty Crocker Cookbook

When I think of my earliest cooking experiences at home with my mom, I think of making cookies. I can still remember vividly the pages and pictures from one cookbook we used primarily for this task: a basic Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Almost a year ago now, I bought the Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, Tenth Edition for a friend and decided to get a copy for myself. It's been a great resource--even for yours truly who owns LOTS of cookbooks.

Why is it a nice addition to my collection? Because Betty Crocker gives you the basics. I have some great resources for vegetable-based recipes, ethnic recipes, showstopping company recipes, and the like, but when I just need a good, old-fashioned casserole, some Chex Mix, or a basic, predictable cookie recipe, this is one of the cookbooks to which I turn. It includes markers for low-fat and fast as well as frequent "lighter" versions of recipes. It's also compact in size and ring-bound--a big plus.

There has since been a newer edition than mine published (this past fall, titled Betty Crocker Cookbook: 1500 Recipes for the Way You Cook Today). I don't know how different it is; frequently newer editions make significant changes, but the Betty Crocker one I have currently seems pretty tried and true. Perhaps the latest edition is similar. As always, I recommend "test-driving" a cookbook from the library or, at the very least, getting a good visual survey in at a brick-and-mortar bookstore, even if you're planning to order online.

No comments: