Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Okra Saute


When the Colvins give us okra (and bell peppers), this is what I make! Even my non-okra-loving-husband claims to enjoy it. The kids? Well, I didn't even try them. I wanted their portions all to myself ☺. I made a half batch, using 1 whole jalapeno. It made two good-sized servings. Yum yum yum. (I think this would be awesome over polenta, by the way...)





Okra Saute
~from Simply in Season

  • 4 c. fresh okra, cleaned and trimmed
  • 1 T. oil (I used olive)
  • 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 bell peppers, sliced thinly (I used yellow--which was extra pretty)
  • 1 hot pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped (I used a cup of cherry tomatoes quartered with the seeds squeezed out a bit for half a recipe's worth)
  1.  Saute okra in hot oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently (you don't need it terribly hot--maybe a medium on your stove).
  2. Add onions, bell peppers, and hot peppers, and saute on medium low until onion is translucent, stirring frequently.
  3. Add tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes or so, stirring as needed.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4-6

2 comments:

Bridgette said...

I'm making this tonight!!

Bridgette said...

It was delicious! If you think you don't like okra, try this dish!